Christopher Matthews Publishing is the hybrid imprint
of First Steps Publishing. We look forward to serving you.
Because we work extensively with our authors, we are highly selective with our acquisitions. This ensures the proper amount of time and attention is given to foster the growth of each project.
We provide comprehensive publishing services including editorial, design, distribution and ebook conversion. We are a small press with a reputation for quality.
First Steps Publishing | CM Publishing
“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.”
—Richard Bach, author, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
We are currently seeking the following:
- Mystery, Thriller or Suspense novels
- Historical fiction
- Fantasy & Magic
Please read our Services page
- We DO NOT accept attachments. Place ALL content directly in the body of an email ONLY
- Submitted MS must be BE ORIGINAL, UNPUBLISHED.
- The importance of the Query Letter
- CAREFULLY and PROFESSIONALLY edit your submission
- Read and follow these Writers Digest Guidelines
- Novels should be within 65,000 to 120,000 words in length
- Please read our Services page
Submit the following into the BODY of an email
- A one-page QUERY LETTER containing your title, genre, market, word count, a brief description of your book and any pertinent writing credentials. We make our initial decision based on the query letter.
- The first ten double-spaced pages of your manuscript
- Where we can find you on the web (Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.)
- A brief synopsis (no more than 1 page) that describes the plot and tells us how it ends
- ABSOLUTELY NO ATTACHEMENTS
- Send Submission to: CMP@FirstStepsPublishing.com
We do not guarantee a response to every submission. Replies are commonly within 8-12 weeks, depending on the number of submissions received, so your patience is appreciated. We look forward to hearing from you!
If your work is not accepted, it could be for a number of reasons, some or none of which may have anything to do with the quality of your writing: we may have too many books currently in the pipeline given our capacity and personal approach; it is not the right genre or right for our list at this time; it lacks proper editing.
Writing is a business, a career and authors must be willing to spend a significant amount of time actively promoting their work. We are committed to bringing as much exposure to our authors’ books as we can. Social media; brick and mortar bookstore and library as well as online distribution; and book shows are a few of the ways in which we promote our authors’ books.